As of this morning, day 2 of 21 in lockdown, I don’t have a working washing machine. Yes, I threw a tantrum and yes, we tried to fix it, but I think we need a new part.
The irony is that just before lockdown I saw a woman on Facebook, we’ll call her Susan, complaining about the laundromat not being open during lockdown and I thought, “there’s bigger things to worry about and you can just stomp your clothes if need be”. Well now I wish I could go to the laundromat. And I will have to stomp.
On the list of things you don’t want to break during a lockdown, a washing machine certainly isn’t right at the top, there could be worse things to break right?! While the answer is yes, I find no comfort in this because I had plans. I planned to wash all the curtains, I actually planned to put everything I possibly could in that machine while I had the time. The machine knew this and quickly decided nope.
So to Susan, I’m sorry I judged you so harshly and we’re in this together now.
I know there are still bigger things to worry about and there are much worse problems to have right now but there’s no denying it really sucks. I know anyone reading this will be happy it’s not them. But I will try and have an attitude of gratitude for everything I do have and everything that is still working hard, like my appetite.
Due to the unforeseen circumstances there are new rules in our house:
- No unnecessary changing of clothes.
- Stick to underwear only where possible, this requires a lot less stomping action.
- Don’t expect each other to look our best because OOTDs are limited to maximum 2 items. If underwear can be included in that, even better.
- No bra shall be worn, this is an unnecessary addition to the washing pile.
- Turns will be taken to do the stomp dance. Points for creativity while doing it.
So stay tuned for my stomping videos because that’s my life for the next while. I might even down a drink or five while doing it because that’s my life for the next while.
I have nothing left to say, except, give your washing machine some love.